Click to Login or Sign Up

Baptist Message

"Helping Louisiana Baptists Impact the World For Christ"

Be sure to Vote -- Primary Elections, May 16

Click here to access more voting information

Click here for voter guide (LA constitutional amendments)

VIDEO: Closed Primary Elections in Louisiana

Be sure to Vote -- Primary Elections, May 16

Click here to access more voting information

Click here for voter guide (LA constitutional amendments)

VIDEO: Closed Primary Elections in Louisiana

  • John 3:16
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Archive
  • Cartoons
    • Joe McKeever
    • Beyond the Ark
    • Church of the Covered Dish
    • Fletch
    • Preacher’s Kids
  • Contact
  • Louisiana
  • U.S. & Intl
  • Facts & Finds
  • Culture & Society
  • Editorial

This photo shows flooding at the I-10/I-610 interchange and surrounding area of northwest New Orleans after the devestation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Despite spending $14 billion against flooding, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said the work is at risk of failure, which puts the region at risk of being disqualified from participating in the National Flood Insurance Program. Message file photo

New Orleans flood insurance coverage at risk

May 3, 2019

By Message Staff

NEW ORLEANS (LBM) – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has declared that the $14 billion spent to fortify the Greater New Orleans area against flooding in the wake of devastation by Hurricane Katrina is at risk of failure, putting the region at risk of being disqualified from participation in the National Flood Insurance Program.

In a “Notice of Intent” to prepare an environmental impact statement as part of a re-evaluation report, USACE stated the previous work it had completed to upgrade the levees, floodwalls, gates and pumps to reduce hurricane and storm damage risk at the “100-year level” was in peril in part due to weak soils and subsidence (sinking).

The statement said an “engineering analysis” indicated the measures previously taken could be for naught “as early as 2023 … absent future levee lifts.” At that point, USACE will notify FEMA of the loss of risk reduction, “which may result in the loss of accreditation required for participation in the National Flood Insurance Program.”

Comments

Editorial

Five insights from Ben Sasse as he faces his last days on Earth

Fifty-four-year-old former Nebraska senator, husband, and father of three, Ben Sasse, was tragically diagnosed only six months ago with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and told he had three to four months to live. While the clinical trial that his doctors put him on has given him more time on earth than doctors … Read More

Search

  • Recent
  • Must Read

Recent

Mom’s permission (Cartoon: Joe McKeever)

Cooksey opens LA Senate session with prayer

Report: China supplying Iran with weapons while denouncing nuclear program

AAA: Slight increase expected in Memorial Day travel

Must Read

Apologetics 101 (Part 4): Proof of the Tower of Babel

APOLOGETICS 101 (Part 3): The truth about “the” flood

LSU to post Ten Commandments in classrooms, president says

WMU search committee formed, seeking candidates for executive director

LCU President Mark Johnson inauguration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnBP7g-Fuw

Copyright © 2026 · News Pro Theme 2.1 On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in