By Message Staff
SHREVEPORT – A fire late Friday, March 2, caused moderate damage to the worship center at Trinity Baptist Church in Shreveport, but church officials are thankful no one was injured.
Dan Lay, associate pastor of children and administration, told the Baptist Message the fire took place around 11 pm Friday. Lay said an electrical fire broke out in the ceiling of the worship center, where crews installed new LED lighting in the worship center during the week to replace the old incandescent system. The fire occurred in the old wiring, Lay said.
The Shreveport Times reported fire crews arrived at the church shortly before 11:30 p.m. and spotted smoke from the roof of the worship center. On-scene Incident Commander, Battalion Chief K. Frazier requested a second alarm as a precautionary measure to have more available manpower and resources on hand, though they were not needed.
Twenty-eight firefighters from the 10 fire crews at the scene brought the situation under control in 40 minutes. The fire was determined as accidental, according to the fire department.
“By the grace of God, the installing crew was still onsite and discovered and reported the fire,” Lay said.
“The fire department responded very quickly and contained the fire with only moderate damage to the worship center ceiling, roof and interior. All praise to the Lord for His intervention. We are thankful to the Shreveport Fire Department for their swift and professional actions to contain and prevent what could have been an even worse tragedy.”
Trinity Heights will worship in its Family Life Center, known as the ROC, until repairs are complete in the worship center.
“Thank everyone for their prayers as we walk through this difficult time,” Lay said. “All glory to God.”